Treatment for Eating Disorders: Why it Has to Be Well RoundedFebruary 19, 2018 / byHealthier Societies / Categories : Diet
While the path towards eating disorder recovery is not always smooth, everyone can still be treated effectively. Early intervention is essential, as it can improve the outcome of the treatment. Eating disorder treatment centers in Kansas City noted that recovery varies from every patient and this can take months or years.
A thorough examination is the first step, mainly because the disorders affect patients physically and psychologically. Treatment also involves a range of healthcare practitioners, such as physicians, dietitians, psychologists, psychiatrists, occupational therapists, nurses, and social workers. The exact treatment needs of each patient vary. This may include:
- Nutritional help and dietary education. This is to assist patients in going back and maintaining healthy eating habits. Nutritionists and dieticians can monitor the food choices of the patient, as well as plan for meals that can meet their nutritional needs.
- Therapy. This can take in different forms, such as an individual, family, or group therapy. There is also psychotherapy or cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) to help understand and address emotions and behaviors that can trigger any symptom. This is also helpful for patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
- Inpatient care. This may involve hospitalization, especially if the patient is ill or severely malnourished due to lack of food. There is also residential care, which involves staying in an eating disorder center or facility. This helps increase the chance for full recovery.
- Anti-depressant medications. This may be used to help patients deal with the psychological issues that come along with eating disorders, such as anxiety and depression. The decision to use medication should only be made after a consultation and assessment with the doctor.
- Support groups. Many support groups exist to help patients deal with their conditions by listening to the experiences of others and learning more about eating disorders. This can be done in person or through other means, such as teleconferences and Internet forums.
A well-rounded treatment program makes recovery from an eating disorder possible. This is because it addresses not only symptoms and medical effects of the illness, buy also other factors that contribute to and cause eating disorders.